1. Group membership is never left to chance when planning academic activities.
2. Academic objectives should be appropriate for each member of the group.
3. Lesson objectives must be clear for the students and the teacher.
Always check for understanding.
Ask for a volunteer to paraphrase your instructions.
Ask questions regarding your instructions.
Especially ask questions about the set up of the group and each member's responsibility.
Check for individual understanding as you move from group to group.
4. Make sure the lesson activities are congruent with your objectives.
5. Teach social skills prior to tackling group work. This will pay off in a big way.
6. Make sure each objective is accomplished.